LAW SCHOOL IS JUST NOT WHAT IT USED TO BE. We never got to watch movies in class!

Marc Stern

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Rick Duncan
Sent: Friday, August 12, 2005 1:05 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: FW: Feature films on church and state

There is a fantastic episode of the Babylon 5 television series called "The Believers" which I use as an introduction to Free Exercise in my Religion and the Constitution class. It is available on this DVD of the First Season of Babylon 5. The episode concerns an alien family that comes to the Earth Space Station (Babylon 5) seeking non-surgical medical treatment for their beloved son. The Earth government doctor performs surgery on their son to save his life, even though this is contrary to the sincerely held religious beliefs of the alien parents. The results are tragic. Absolutely fantastic introduction to Free Exercise. The students loved it!

Rick Duncan

Douglas Laycock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Anyone have a good idea on this query from my librarian:

Doug, are you aware of any movies dealing with separation of church and state?    I can't think of anything but Inherit the WindThe Courageous Mr. Penn, Hitchcock's I Confess (sanctity of the confessional), and A Man for all Seasons.

Douglas Laycock

University of Texas Law School

727 E. Dean Keeton St.

Austin, TX  78705

   512-232-1341 (phone)

   512-471-6988 (fax)

Please note that messages sent to this large list cannot be viewed as private. Anyone can subscribe to the list and read messages that are posted; people can read the Web archives; and list members can (rightly or wrongly) forward the messages to others.

Rick Duncan
Welpton Professor of Law
University of Nebraska College of Law
Lincoln, NE 68583-0902

"When the Round Table is broken every man must follow either Galahad or Mordred: middle things are gone." C.S.Lewis, Grand Miracle

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered." --The Prisoner