I haven't followed this case very carefully either, Alan. And I don't know if I'm "breaking ranks" with conservative judges or whether theyare breaking ranks with me. I am much more of a libertarian than a conservative anyway.

But, of course, government schools and their monopoly over educational funding create difficult problems for both conservatives and libertarians. Whose liberties count? Those of elected school boards? Administrators? Teachers? Students? Parents?

When religious parents complain about the public school curriculum they are often told they should leave if they don't like what their children are being taught. It seems like heads you win tails we lose in these curriculum disputes. This is why I think school choice is the only way to justly distribute educational benefits in a pluralistic society.

School choice allows everyone more liberty. Teachers, like Mr. Williams, will have more choices for employment. Parents and students can choose how secular or how religious they want their school to be.

What I do know is that many people of faith do not feel welcome--either as teachers or as students and parents--in the government schools.

I am so glad that PILFs like ADF, Liberty Counsel, Becket, and the ACLJ exist to defend the right of people of faith in public schools and in the public square.

Perhaps Mr. Williams' handouts were over the top. I don't know. But I do know from personal experience that many Christian teachers are afraid to discuss religion in their classes. They fear any mention of religion (particularly of the Christian religion) in their classes will result in parents complaining and in administrators cracking down. So even if ADF was too agressive in this case, I applaud them for their willingness to defend teachers who wish to recognize the importance of religion in the history and culture of America.

Rick Duncan

"A.E. Brownstein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'm not at all as confident as Rick is that "It is always good to stand up
for the academic freedom of teachers," particularly when they are
presenting one-sided religious or political programs in their classrooms
and refuse to accept the curricular guidelines of their school. Perhaps
Rick is breaking ranks here, but most conservative judges, including
several on the President's short list of potential Supreme Court nominees,
take a very different position on the academic freedom of high school
teachers. See, e.g. the Wilkinson and Luttig concurrences in Boring v.
Buncombe County Bd. of Educ, 136 F.3d 364 (1998)

I do not know all the details of the Williams litigation. But I have yet
to read a case involving attempts to teach students about the role of
religion in American history in which any attempt at a balanced
presentati! on is being advanced. No one seems to want to discuss the
obvious reality that religious individuals and groups have been on both
sides of every historical conflict: that the loyalists who supported George
III and ridiculed ideas of popular sovereignty were at least as devout as
their more revolutionary counterparts, that Confederate leaders and slave
holders were as religious as the abolitionists, that religion was employed
to justify social darwinism as well as progressive movements of reform --
and the list goes on. Religious beliefs were used to justify the most
shameful periods in American history and our most noble achievements.

There are many different inferences about America and religion that can be
drawn from that history. But that's always true of history.

Alan Brownstein
UC Davis