The mass distribution of Bibles to new recruits is generally done by Chaplains, in the chapel, which is optional attendance, and the funding comes from private sources like the Gideons.  Campus Crusade for Christ raises alot of money to purchase and distribute New Testaments and gospel tracts to soldiers and sailors, but they do it through the Chaplains.  And it's not forced upon them, it's only offered.

As a chaplain, I'd love to get government funding for the printing of God's word, like they authorized vastly in the 1800's, but alas, today it isn't so.  If your student can show otherwise, let me know.  I'd like to tap that government funding source, and get many more Bibles (smile)...

Chaplain Gordon James Klingenschmitt

Michael Besso <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
In a political science course on constitutional rights and liberties that
I teach, a student asked about the Army’s practice of distributing the
Bible (perhaps the New Testament only) to new recruits during basic
training. She recalls this from her own relatively recent experience. (I
went through the Army’s basic training some years ago -- let’s just say
that, at the time, it was “Reagan’s America” -- and I also received a
Bible, which I believe was the New Testament only, from the basic training
command. To be clear: it was distributed to each soldier, and not merely
something that I sought out and retained.)

The news of developments regarding practices in the Air Force is
interesting, to say the least, but does any list member have insight into
this related issue, of the distribution of Bibles in the military? Does
the practice conti! nue? Has there been any policy or legal dispute about
the issue?

Thank you,
Michael Besso

Please note that messages sent to this large list cannot be viewed as private. Anyone can subscribe to the list and read messages that are posted; people can read the Web archives; and list members can (rightly or wrongly) forward the messages to others.