I'm not sure there is anything the governor could have done in the time it took to issue a call to prayer that wasn't already being done.  And in time of crisis, like 9/11 or Hurricane Katrina or anything else of such a devastating magnitude, there are many of us who find a call to prayer as recognizing that there are more needs than just the material "down-to-earth" ones.  The provision of material needs tells me that my leaders are aware of shortages and doing their job to meet them.  The call to prayer tells me that the leaders' hearts are with me as well.

Brad

P.S. Regarding the eficacy of prayer, for reasons we may not know, God doesn't always say "yes" to everything we ask, but that's a subject for another list.