Perhaps some of his sailor mates who were not evangelicals or born again or even Christian would want to attend the memorial service and in doing so would want it to be less sectarian and not include a conversion message.  This is not the same as a regularly held service for a particular group.  Memorial services are different, even if optional -- or were several different ones held or planned?

The devil is in the details.  If one does not believe in tolerance and in inclusion in such services, perhaps the  military is the wrong place to be.

Why should chaplains have more latitude to offend than others?  Indeed, should not chaplains be held to an even higher level of sensitivity to the religious diversity in the population being served?

Steve