I would take this one step further; blatant proselytizing creates a hostile atmosphere for those whose religions are being denounced and belittled.  When  a Christian tries to convert a Jew, the Christian is in effect telling the Jew he/she is not "good enough" and that they are going to go to hell.  This is not behavior that should tolerated in public schools.   Schools are not places where people are free to always express their opinions, views, goals, desires, etc.  Simply time, place, manner restrictions allows school to prohibit student speech which is harmful to other students; racist speech is banned; so too should anti-semitic speech be banned. Tell a Jew she is going to go to hell is clearly anti-semitic; so too is telling some you he has the wrong religion, or a bad religion. Why Rick think such behavior is tolerable is beyond me.  He argues that if we make evangelical kids go to school, we have to expect they will behave in ways that are offencise to others who are not Christians or not evangelicals. So, I wonder, would he hold the same standard for the KKK?  If we forced children of KKK members (or Aryan nation members) to go to public school, should we sit back and say they too can say things which are hateful towards minorities?

Paul Finkelman

Joel Sogol wrote:

I don’t think I even implied that Rick approved of the conduct – only that he views it as part of the larger price Jews must pay for sending our children to public schools.  Having reread some of his posts, I still read it that way. I don’t agree.  I think the schools can, and must, protect my children from the type of conduct (proselytizing) he seems to feel is protected.  And I think that is what I said.

Joel L. Sogol

Attorney at Law

811 21st Avenue

Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35401

ph (205) 345-0966

fx (205) 345-0971

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ben Franklin observed that truth wins a fair fight -- which is why we have evidence rules in U.S. courts.

Paul Finkelman
Chapman Distinguished Professor of Law
University of Tulsa College of Law
3120 East 4th Place