Alan:  Doesn't it depend on what constitutes "studying Talmud."  I imagine one could study the Talmud as a legal commentary and not have any interest in the religious aspects of it?  Would it be ok if  faculty member said we will study Talmud, the Koran, some Christian texts, and other religous texts to see how they relate to law?  I am not trying to be difficult here, but I envision the study group at UCLA to be made up of people of different faiths interested in this complex set of legal arguments.  Indeed, if is studying Talmud for religious purposes, then I am with you:  it is an establishment clause violation.
Paul Finkelman

Alan Brownstein wrote:
Good questions, Eugene.

I'm glad to hear that students are studying Talmud at UCLA. And I doubt
there is a problem with a faculty member joining them if they meet in an
open classroom as a Jewish Study Group.

But I have a problem with the faculty member organizing and leading a
Talmud study group in his office and inviting students from his class to
participate. (I also have a problem with a faculty member organizing and
leading a Republican Party study group in his office and inviting
students from his class to participate.)

If the former isn't an Establishment clause violation, I think it comes
close enough to be prohibited under the play in the joints analysis in
Locke.

As for the free exercise argument, if a prohibition against such study
groups did not violate the free speech clause, there may be a real
problem in holding that it violates the free exercise clause. We would
need to know whether a prohibition against other group meetings would
also be upheld under free speech clause, government as employer
doctrine. If meetings involving other subjects and viewpoints could also
be prohibited, can religious expressive activities receive greater
protection under the free exercise clause than secular expressive
activities receive under the free speech clause?

Alan Brownstein