James Maule wrote:

According to an article in this  morning's Philadelphia Inquirer
[http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/news/local/13116793.htm (a free
subscription site)], voters in Dover, Pa., where the intelligent design
curriculum trial recently concluded, replaced  all 8 Republican school
board members who were up for re-election with Democrats who campaigned
on removing intelligent design from the curriculum. This, note, in a
heavily Republican area. (There is a ninth board member whose term did
not end.)

When I saw this my first thought was, ok, the new school board (which
is sworn in on Dec 5) changes the curriculum, and this would seem to
moot the case. Would it be dismissed by agreement? By the judge? Could
it be dismissed? Should it be dismissed?

From my conversations last night and this morning with the folks involved in this case, there will likely be no agreement to end the case. Both sides want a ruling. But it does make an appeal of the case rather unlikely, which disappoints me a bit and means we'll almost certainly be repeating this case in other situations around the country. I'm following this closely because I am currently in the middle of a 5000 word article on the case for Skeptic magazine and this could change the ending pretty significantly.

Ed Brayton