Well, here's the quote that Prof. Newsom seems to be alluding
to:  "In case it wasn't clear, my point is that Catholics today are (I
hope and believe) quite different from Catholics of 500 years ago, and
more open to genuine alliance with, respect towards, and even affection
towards Protestants who disagree on some liturgical questions, but agree
on deeper questions, both theological (acceptance of Jesus) and moral
(rejection of abortion)."
(http://lists.ucla.edu/pipermail/religionlaw/2005-November/020253.html)

        "Where do you get this from? Don't you think that you ought to
disclose that?," asks Prof. Newsom.  Well, I would have thought that
this statement "disclose[d]" "where [I] get this from."  The "I hope"
part I get from, well, my hopes.  The part about "acceptance of Jesus"
being a deeper matter than other liturgical questions was pretty clearly
my own sense of Catholic theology, yet one I would have thought is
uncontroversial:  Accepting Jesus, as I understand it, is fundamental to
being a Christian and therefore a Catholic; once you're a Christian,
Catholics may of course think it's very important that you celebrate the
Mass, but I would think that acceptance of Jesus is indeed a deeper,
more fundamental, point than the particular liturgy one uses to
celebrate Jesus's works and one's faith.  The part about "rejection of
abortion" being a deeper matter than other liturgical questions was, I'd
have thought, pretty clearly my opinion.  It's an opinion I stand by,
and one that I'd think many Catholics would share; but if it's a
mistaken opinion, surely it's just a mistaken opinion, rather than one
that isn't "candid."

        As to "Catholics today are (I . . . believe) quite different
from Catholics of 500 years ago, and more open to genuine alliance with,
respect towards, and even affection towards Protestants," that refers to
an earlier post (the one I allude to in the preceding sentence, "I would
have hoped that my post clearly had '[some]thing to do with' this
issue"):  "I would think that the history of the Catholic Church over
the last 500 years shows how things can and do change.  I suspect that
many Catholics would agree that the Church of today is very different
from the Church of hundreds of years ago, and for the better -- it is
genuinely (and I would hope not just tactically) more tolerant of Jews,
of Protestants, and of religious freedom more broadly than it has been
in the past.  Many Catholics hope to shift it even further, on questions
such as tolerance of homosexuality, contraception, abortion, and the
like."  Is this a remotely controversial point?  Recall that 500 years
ago we were still in the midst of bloody interdenominational wars; for
many years that followed the end of the wars, as I understand it, the
Catholic Church was quite militantly anti-Protestant in its rhetoric,
much wore than it is so now; the Catholic Church's public statements
about Jews, as I understand it, are far more amicable and respectful now
than they were in the past.

        Naturally, if I had made some specific factual allegation ("I
happen to know that the Pope is secretly planning to . . ."), it would
be quite proper to demand that I disclose its source, and to fault me
for lack of candor if the allegation was wrong and I knew it was wrong.
Yet I take it that most of us express our opinions on-list, and also
make general statements of what we see (rightly or wrongly) as broadly
understood facts (e.g., Catholicism today is not as militantly
anti-Protestant as in the past).  We may surely be wrong in these
matters, but such errors hardly demonstrate a lack of candor.

        May I ask, incidentally:  Does anyone else on the list think
that my statement was somehow lacking in "candor" for failing to
"disclose" where I got my opinions and broad factual assertions from?
Am I indeed lacking in candor (as opposed to the quite different matter
of lacking in correctness) for not footnoting the statement that "In