Hi,

In one sense, John Lofton's notion of "operational atheism" has much more to it than meets the eye. Consider, for example, the views of "Radical Orthodox" Christian theologians (e.g., John Milbank) and some other important "post-liberal" contemporary Christian thinkers (e.g., Stanley Hauerwas) who tend to take the view that much of modernity, including the underpinnings of our social science, the basis of our economic system, and the assumptions of our political theory, are profoundly at odds with the world-view of the Bible. If you're looking for an uncompromising, religiously-inspired, critique of the "operational" assumptions of our government and society, this is it.

Significantly, though, these thinkers are _not_ sympathetic to the so-called "religious right." To the contrary, they tend to find much of the "religious right" agenda to be either beside the point or perniciously "Constantinian." Moreover, to the extent that they have "public policy" views (though they dislike the term), they tend to focus on issues such as justice for the poor (and skepticism about capitalism) or, in Hauerwas's case, an uncompromising opposition to war.

So, at the end of the day, Ed Brayton is also profoundly right to point out that staunch religious believers can end up taking what might, in crude shorthand, be called the "ACLU position" on many of the issues that divide us, while proud atheists (including many neoconservatives) can easily take what might loosely be called the "anti-ACLU" position.

The interesting question, though, is why this is, at least in popular discourse, so little noticed and appreciated.

                                Perry

Perry Dane
Professor of Law

Rutgers University