Richard,

I think that's right. From the opinion:

Second, the WHWA includes an express exemption for "religious employers" if
prescription contraceptive methods are "contrary to the religious employer's
religious tenets" (Insurance Law § 3221 [l] [16] [A]; § 4303 [cc] [1]). The
exemption defines a "religious employer" as an entity that satisfies four
criteria: (1) the inculcation of religious values is the purpose of the
entity; (2) the entity primarily employs persons who share the religious tenets
of the entity; (3) the entity serves primarily persons who share the religious
tenets of the entity; and (4) the entity is a nonprofit organization as
described in 26 USC § 6033 (a) (2) (A) (i) or (iii) (Internal Revenue Code of
1986, as amended) (Insurance Law § 3221 [l] [16] [A] [1]; § 4303 [cc] [1] [A])
(hereinafter the exemption).

Your electric company clearly would not meet requirements 1 and 4. And unless
you do something interesting with the hypo, requirement 3.

Jim Maule

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 1/13/2006 1:32:11 PM >>>
Jim:
Thanks for the article.  Am I right that the exemption (as in Calif.) only
applies to organizations engaged in promoting religious teachings?  Thus, even
if I called my electrical company "St. Stanislaus" and hired only Catholics
(presuming I could do that), and included religious symbolism in all my ads,
had a priest on staff to consult with on ethical practices, etc., the fact that
my business was not proselytizing means no exemption for me?
Thanks,
Richard Dougherty