The case I've seen cited on this issue is Committee for Public Ed. & Religious Liberty v. Nyquist, 413 U.S. 756, 777 (1973) which says:

"If the State may not erect buildings in which religious activities are to take place, it may not maintain such buildings or renovate them when they fall into disrepair." Full text at:

See also Tilton v. Richardson, 403 U.S. 672, 678 (1971) available at:

For a Bush Administration view, see the 2003 DOJ memo titled "AUTHORITY OF THE DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR TO PROVIDE HISTORIC PRESERVATION GRANTS TO HISTORIC RELIGIOUS PROPERTIES SUCH AS THE OLD NORTH CHURCH," at:

Hope that helps

Allen Asch