cases are mistaken?  Do they think the cases are inapplicable here?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Paul
Finkelman
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 1:52 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: "Racist Man Sentenced To Attend Black Church"

This raises an interesting question. Judges often send people
to AA for
their illegal behavior related to drinking and AA is heavily
religious.
   I do not see an Establishment Clause issue here but rather a free
exercise one.  I see sending him to a black church as a way
of forcing
him to associate with African Americans and to be part of
their culture
for a few Sundays, on the theory, I suppose, that if he gets to know
blacks he won't hate them (I think this is a dumb theory, but that is
beside the point).   It is not "establishing" the black church as a
religion for the state.

He is being forced to associate with blacks, and therefore is
losing his
freedom of association (or non-association) but that can
happen whenever
you get convicted; you go to jail and associate with people who might
not want to hang out with.

But, let us suppose, for arguments sake, that this person was
a member
of a faith which prohibited him from attending the religious
worship of
others. Then it would seem to me that his free exercise rights were
being violated. At that point I think the court could be required to
give him some other "alternative sentence" -- such as go tutor in a
mostly black school for a month; go live in a dorm at an HBCU for a
month, etc.   OR the court could just send him to the slammer for a
disorderly conduct.

Paul Finkelman

Volokh, Eugene wrote:

	Wouldn't there be an Establishment Clause problem, though?