This seems to me to be very consistant with the general tendency in the courts to treat free exercise rights as a subsidiary of free speech rights (i.e. Rosenberger).  I agree with Marc that in one sense it appears insensitive to not at least acknowledge the religious free exercise interest -- but if the judge did, what would he say: we hold religion doesn't rate?  On a political basis, it is much easier to dodge the bullet.

David
----- Original Message -----
From: Marc Stern
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2006 10:22 AM
Subject: RE: New yORK Lawsuit

I do not disagree that ordinarily consent is not required .Perhaps because of that consent should not be required  when the artist would have no reason to think that a particular subject would have religious objections to being photographed. I do find it curious that the court seems to assume the value of secular first amendment rights and gives no thought (at least according to the law journal summary) to religious first amendment rights .The court did express some sympathy for plaintiff but not at the level of law.

Marc Stern