The Supreme Court of Canada yesterday issued an interesting ruling addressing the issue of whether a Sikh student may be prohibited from wearing a kirpan in school. The case came out of Quebec; interestingly, most Canadian religious freedom cases seem to come from either Quebec or British Columbia. Here's a snippet from my post on Prawfsblawg, available at:

http://prawfsblawg.blogs.com/prawfsblawg/2006/03/scc_says_kirpan.html

"In today's decision in Multani v. Commission scolaire Marguerite-Bourgeoys, the Court holds that a decision of a school board prohibiting a student from wearing a kirpan -- in effect, a ceremonial dagger worn by Sikhs -- violated his freedom of religion under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and that this infringement could not be justified, as some infringements can be, under section 1 of the Charter. It looks to me as if the Court was unanimous as to the underlying decision that the board erred in banning the kirpan, although there are some interesting arguments as to whether the decision ought to have been made under the Charter or under applicable principles of administrative law. The Court noted that the student and his parents were willing to comply "with certain conditions to ensure that it was sealed inside his clothing," but rejected the argument that the student could have been made to wear a wooden or plastic kirpan (which the student said would not comply with religious requirements) and fairly flatly rejected an absolute bar on the wearing of kirpans." . . . . Among other things, the Court strongly rejected the argument . . . that allowing kirpans exposes kids to violence and affects the "perception of the climate of security," pointing out the plethora of potentially lethal objects that are readily available in any school, from baseball bats to scissors, and arguing that "[i]f some students consider it unfair that [the student] may wear his kirpan to school while they are not allowed to have knives in their possession, it is incumbent on the schools to discharge their obligation to instill in their students this value that is at the very foundation of our democracy."

The decision itself is available at: http://www.lexum.umontreal.ca/csc-scc/en/rec/html/2006scc006.wpd.html

I should note that much of the remainder of my Prawfsblawg post compares the ruling to the contrary argument on kirpans presented by Prof. Hamilton in her valuable book God vs. the Gavel, and respectfully sides with the Court's view.

Paul Horwitz
Southwestern University School of Law
Los Angeles, CA