I know someone who firmly believes lawyers should be prohibited from
serving in legislatures. He has some interesting and not totally absurd
arguments. I humor him by threatening to take the opposite position,
though I don't believe it, but want a chance to rattle his cage. So, I
propose that only lawyers should be eligible to serve in legislatures.
When he asks me to argue, I now have another bit of data to use. Lawyers
would have learned enough to know not to do something like this.

Of course, it may be that the person(s) generating this resolution are
lawyers.

Pity.

Jim Maule

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 3/3/2006 2:41:28 PM >>>
*soapbox mode on*I read stories like this, and I say to myself that
it's
no wonder so many people think conservative Christians are intolerant
idiots.  Doesn't this guy understand that stupid things like this
accomplish nothing other than leaving a mess for others to clean up?
*soapbox mode off*  Sigh.  Thanks for passing this along.  I've often
said
that the biggest proof of the existence of God is the fact that
Christianity still exists despite who He has for "ambassadors.
Sheesh.

Brad

Jean Dudley wrote:

Via Eschaton:  Missouri legislators in Jefferson City considered a bill

that would name Christianity the state's official "majority" religion.

House Concurrent Resolution 13 has is pending in the state legislature.

  Many Missouri residents had not heard about the bill until Thursday.

Karen Aroesty of the Anti-defamation league, along with other
watch-groups, began a letter writing and email campaign to stop the
resolution.  The resolution would recognize "a Christian god," and it
would not protect minority religions, but "protect the majority's right

to express their religious beliefs.  The resolution also recognizes
that, "a greater power exists," and only Christianity receives what the

resolution calls, "justified recognition."  State representative David

Sater of Cassville in southwestern Missouri, sponsored the resolution,

but he has refused to talk about it on camera or over the phone.  KMOV

also contacted Gov. Matt Blunt's office to see where he stands on the
resolution, but he has yet to respond.