From: "Marty Lederman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Law & Religion issues for Law Academics" <religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>
Subject: Re: Boy Scouts, Expressive Association, Government Benefits,Religious Discrimination, Etc.
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 22:49:06 -0500

Thanks again for the thoughtful response, Christopher. A few quick reactions:

1. It's not only about equality, because virtually none of these programs treats all applicants "equally": Some are favored over others for a variety of subjective reasons. And the EC question therefore is whether it's ok for government administrators, when making discretionary decisions as to which organizations get the competitive $$, to be indifferent to the fact that some applicants, but not others, discriminate on the basis of religion.

2. You write that "religious organizations should not be able to use government resources to discriminate against beneficiaries . . . but I do think they should retain the right to discriminate in their staffing." I know that this distinction tracks many people's instincts on this question -- and perhaps it's the ideal policy distinction -- but what's the good argument that the Constitution draws a similar distinction? If the EC doesn't bar the use of the government dollars to discriminate in employment, why would it bar the use of those same dollars to discriminate w/r/t beneficiaries? (BTW, "charitable choice" does not categorically draw the line this way: Several state and local programs continue to prohibit employment discrimination.)

3. "Taking away a religious organization's right to religiously staff seems like a disaster." Why is that the case, with respect to a social-services program that itself must be completely secular in operation? I understand why a religious organization might want to retain a coreligionist test even in performing such a secular function -- see Justice Brennan's Amos concurrence, which we discuss at pages 29-30 of this OLC memo: http://balkin.blogspot.com/2005/06/government-funding-of-religious.html. But a "disaster"? I don't quite see that --especially since numerous religious organizations which otherwise prefer coreligionists have been abiding by non-discrimination rules for decades in government-funded programs.

4. I don't know whether the concern about employment discrimination is as important as it has been made out to be. But there is at least one recent case where it's at issue, w/r/t to a fairly prominent employer, the Salvation Army:

http://www.religionandsocialpolicy.org/docs/legal/cases/Salvation_Army_Hiring_Ruling-NY_Dist.pdf

The court's ruling is not terribly coherent, but I think it will have a good deal of impact, at least until more cases are decided.

I briefly discuss these issues, including treatments by OLC and Amar/Brownstein, here:

http://balkin.blogspot.com/2005/06/government-funding-of-religious.html