Eugene:  I think all religions have their inconsistencies. My position here is not to attack the Catholic Church, and I hope no one thinks it is.  Rather, it is to point out to those who are condemning the Mass. Law that the Church simply chooses which laws to make a fuss over, and which laws not to make a fuss over, and that despite claims of Profs. Duncan and Esser, this is clearly not an open and shut case about the state forcing the church to abandon its doctrine if it wishes to continue to place children in adoptive families.  The Church is not being asked to condone any particular family relationship, it is only being asked to continue to work with the state in placing children in homes that the State finds suitable.  The Church has ever right to withdraw from doing this, but this is not a simple case of the state trying to force the church to act against its teachings, just as it is not asking the Church to act against its teachings to help the state execute people.  But, in doing so the Church  does aid in the process.

I will not post anything more on this unless a posting is directed at me.  My point in all these posting to suggest through analogy that the Catholic Church might very well be able to help children find loving homes without endorsing the choices the state makes on who is fit to be a parent make just as it helps minister to those about to be executed without endorsing the choices the state makes on how to punish people.  Thus, I have argued that the church is making a political statement here, not necessarily a religious one.

With that, I will cease posting on this issue.

Paul Finkelman

Volokh, Eugene wrote:
Folks:  Whether the Church is behaving consistently or well is not, it
seems to me, a matter of the law of government and religion.  I suspect
that the lines drawn by religious people often seem inconsistent or even
hypocritical to those outside the faith.  I imagine that there are those
who would speak of various alleged inconsistencies in Judaism, for
instance, with the same contempt that Prof. Finkelman shows towards what
he sees as inconsistencies in Catholicism.  I see little benefit in
debating these questions on this list; they are more suited to
discussions of Catholic theology and morality -- surely important
topics, but not ones that are terribly relevant to the law of government
and religion.

More particularly, I should note that what counts as complicity in evil
and what counts as amelioration of evil is a notoriously mushy area.  We
see that in secular American law.  We see that in secular moral debates,
for instance about needle exchange programs.  It shouldn't be surprising
that different religious groups would come to different conclusions
about the kind and degree of aid involved in different situations.  It
might be wiser, then, to accept that others may have a different view
without being hypocrites or supporters of destroying lives.  But in any
event, I stress again that this is a matter for other places than this
list.

The list custodian