Ed wrote:

>But I don't think that gay liberation requires forcing churches and religious organizations to >change either their personal beliefs or their actions *within the confines of those >organizations*....  We certainly want to prevent such people from imposing their
>beliefs on the private behavior of gays (and the rest of us, in a wide range of other ways as >well); but we undermine our principled position if we then seek to have government impose >restrictions on their private behavior (as opposed to the laws they advocate).

Ed's post has helped put some thoughts in order for me.

It's my impression that conservative religionists are concerned that secular recognition of gay marriage and other rights would force them to acknowledge and condone relationships that they believe are morally wrong.  Perhaps this is true -- but it's not the first time that's happened.  It's taken me several days to come up with a similar situation, but I finally have.  People have been using interracial marriage as a comparison -- I've come up with one that's much more straightforward:  equal treatment of women.

There were, and I believe still are, some very conservative sects (the ones I'm the most familiar with are Jewish, having spent many years living and working in NYC) that believe that women should not act or be treated in ways that are equal to men.  Even more mainstream sects believe that interactions between men and women should be very strictly restricted.

I have no doubt that Title VII led to some very heated discussions among those adherents.  If they wanted to run a business of any substantial size (and therefore profitability), they would be forced not only to hire women, but to hire women who most likely did not conform to their standards of proper dress for women.  They would be forced to interact with women at other companies.  They would undoubtedly face situations where female strangers would expect to shake hands with them.  All in all, it was undoubtedly a great change from what they were used to.

Over the years, though, they've adapted.  Yes, some of their adaptation has been to form more insular communities and neighborhoods, so they can limit their interactions with "the outside world" to some extent.  But others have simply gotten used to the new way of things.  Yes, I'm sure (albeit without proof) that some discrimination is happening -- or at least discouagement of people who don't "fit" from continuing in the hiring process -- but it's on a very small scale.

The religious sects survived, the people practicing them adapted, and women play a greater role in the marketplace than they did 40 years ago.  And today, I don't hear anyone screaming (in the US at least) that forcing employers to treat women equally trod on the rights of religious groups and prevented them from living according to their convictions.

-Renee