Title: RE: Another Catholic Charities Issue
Don Byrd at Blog From the Capital reports tonight that the Senate Judiciary Committee has approved an amendment to the immigration reform bill that would exempt charitable organizations and local churches providing humanitarian assistance to  undocumented immigrants.
http://www.bjconline.org/cgi-bin/

-- Howard Friedman

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Douglas Laycock
Sent: Mon 3/27/2006 8:26 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Another Catholic Charities Issue

        I have no informed view on what the bill means.  Paul Krugman
this morning said it will be a crime to give medical care to an illegal
alien.  If true, I think that would raise a serious question as applied
to a Catholic or Baptist hospital.

        More sensibly interpreted, I think this bill is very different
from the requirement that Catholic Charities give babies to gay adoptive
parents, and the resulting RFRA claims are also very different.  When
Catholic Charities refuses to    place babies with gay parents, it has
no effect on all the other adoption agencies in the state.  Gay persons
who wish to adopt need only go to another agency.  Catholic Charities
honors its own faith commitments, and the effect on everyone else is de
minimis.

        In the clearest case on immigration -- if religious charities
were smuggling people across the border and hiding them here -- the
effect on others is very different.  In effect, the religious charities
would be replacing the legislative view of immigration policy with their
own view of immigration policy.  Public policy would be -- for better or
worse, and probably for worse -- that very few people could come in.
But religious policy would be that many people could come in, and the
religious preference for many immigrants would be imposeod on everybody,
the majority of whose representatives voted for very few immigrants.
That is, there are inherently far more externalities in an exception to
this law than in an exception to the adoption law.

        The further we get from smuggling people in, the weaker the
government's claim gets.  Hiding people known to be illegal aliens is
hard to distinguish from smuggling them in.  Providing food, medical
care, or social services to the impoverished, knowing that some
percentage of the impoverished must be illegal aliens, is a lot easier
to distinguish.  Yes the religious charities could investigate, but
requiring them to investigate is requiring them to do the government's
work, which may raise establishment clause issues about delegation to
religious bodies as well as free exercise issues.  I am not at all sure
where the line is.  But I am sure that government has a compelling
interest in not letting religious organizations create their own
immigration policy that supersedes the government's immigration policy.

Douglas Laycock
University of Texas Law School
727 E. Dean Keeton St.
Austin, TX  78705