This is a puzzlement about the whole thread, not David's posting.  How --
legally -- is the skating rink's position different from one that featured a
"Celebrate Being White" night (or, to give a precise parallel in advertising, a
"White Night at the Rink"), advertising that there'd be music from identifiably
white performers and no rap or hip-hop (which I in my ignorance will assume are
roughly correlated with non-white performers, Eminem to the contrary
notwithstanding)?  Is the thought that the proprietor in that case would indeed
have just as strong a constitutional claim (a right of expressive association
claim, I would think) as the proprietor here?  Or that the state's interest in
addressing perceived racial discrimination is demonstrably greater than its
interest in addressing perceived religious discrimination (on the assumption,
which seems correct, that in neither case would non-Christians or non-whites
respectively be denied entry were they to show up)?  If the latter, what's the
warrant for a court's displacement of the legislative judgment that both forms
of perceived discrimination are worth legal response?  (Or, if you don't like
"the legislative judgment" in that sentence, substitute a version that invokes
Chevron-like deference to legal interpretations proferred by administrative
agencies.)
--
Mark Tushnet
William Nelson Cromwell Professor of Law