It is nice to live dangerously.  By the way I mean BIblical "patriarchs"
as there were many who were polygamous.  Anyone with even passing
knowledge of Biblical law knows that Biblical law allowed polygamy.
Later in his post Mr. Lofton asks where does "god" approve polygamy and
the answer of course is that *if* you accept the idea that God dictated
the Bible to Moses than God approved polygamy; also if you understnad
the story of David, Solomon and the Temple you see that David was not
holy enough to build the Temple by Solomon with his seemingly endless
numbers of wives was.  Seems proof enough that God sanctioned polygamy.

It might be that we today reject the Biblical law that allows polygamy
(just as we reject the idea of Biblical adultery).  This just only
confirm that almost all modern faiths pick and choose which part of the
Bible to follow.  I guess that is what Mr. Lofton thinks is living
dangerously.  I for one reject the passages in Exodus 21 tealling me
under what circumstances I can sell my daughter into slavery.  I don't
believe in slavery and so don't think anyone has a right to sell his
daughter into slavery. Once again, I suppose I am living dangerously.

Paul Finkelman

Paul Finkelman
President William McKinley Distinguished Professor of Law
     and Public Policy
Albany Law School
80 New Scotland Avenue
Albany, New York   12208-3494

518-445-3386
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 09/01/06 1:49 PM >>>
"Bobby" asks some good questions. But before I respond, let me, please,
refresh our memories as to exactly what the context of our discussion
here is. The context here is what Mr. Finkelman said which is: "Biblical
law of course allows polygamy. If it was good enough to the Biblical
patriarch and King Solomon, why isn't good enough for people today?"

COMMENT: I believe Mr. F's obvious assumption that "Biblical law of
course allows" polygamy because people in the Bible did it and that's
good enough for us today is a poor hermeneutic that is very dangerous.
OK, now to what "Bobby" writes, please.

"Bobby": "How much weight does the absence of such a quote have in a
discussion of what God does or does not approve of?"

COMMENT: Didn't say there was no such quote -- though I doubt there is
one showing that God APPROVES polygamy. I merely asked Mr. F for
Scripture to support what he said since he was talking about God's Law.
I would strongly advise that whenever you're talking about what you
think God's Law explicitly or implictly "allows," and by this word
"allow" you're leaving the impression that God APPROVES of that which He
"allows," yes, indeed, I think what you're saying must be on a solid
Scriptural basis. We should not talk loosely about God and what we
believe He says, thinks, approves or "allows." Be very careful here.

"Bobby:" "What counts as God approving of a practice?"

COMMENT: If you say God approves of a practice, I'd say the burden of
proof is on YOU. Tell me what makes you think what you think. Show me
the basis for your thinking in the Bible.

"Bobby": "Must the Bible explicitly say that God approves of a
particular practice to infer that He approves of it? Must He
specifically state his disapproval?"

COMMENT: No, I'd say certain things can be known by a reasonable
inference from Biblical passages.

"Bobby": "Does God ever reproach Abraham for his marriage practices?
Aren't there many practices described in the Bible of which God
approves--common practices--despite God never explicitly stating is
approval?"

COMMENT: By reasonable inference, as one of my Bible dictionaries says,
Scripture presents monogamy as the divine ideal. The Creator made
marriage as a union between one man and one woman <Gen. 2:18-24; Matt.
19:4-6; 1 Cor. 6:16>. Apparently polygamy, like divorce, was tolerated
because of the hardness of peoples' hearts <Matt. 19:8>. After the time
of Moses, polygamy continued to be practiced, especially by wealthy
individuals, such as Gideon, Elkanah, Saul, and David <1 Sam. 1:2; 2
Sam. 5:13; 1 Kin. 11:3>. But the most famous polygamist in the Bible was
King Solomon: "And he had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three
hundred concubines; and his wives turned away his heart" <1 Kin. 11:3>.
The criticism of polygamy expressed in <Deuteronomy 17:17>, therefore,
is not surprising: the ideal king to whom Israel's obedience can be
rightly given shall not "multiply wives for himself, lest his heart turn
away." John Lofton, Editor, TheAmericanView.com; Recovering
Republican...

P.S. This Saturday (September 2), from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. (Eastern
Standard Time), our "The American View" radio show will be on "The Faith
& Freedom Network." You can hear our program this coming Saturday by
going to this Network's Web site www.faithandfreedomnetwork.com and
clicking on "Listen Now" at the top of the page. The programs you will
hear this coming Saturday are, in this order: (1) A new program where
Michael Anthony Peroutka (Constitution Party Presidential candidate in
2004)and I introduce ourselves with some biographical information; and
we examine in detail what exactly THE American View was and still is --
a distinct view based on Biblical Christianity; (2) Our interview with
Terri Schiavo's lawyer David Gibbs who has written a new book about her
murder (this is the same Program 73 which is on our Web site); and (3)
An older "TAV" show in which Islam expert Robert Spencer tells the truth
about Islam and we wonder why President Bush has said, repeatedly, that
this faith is a religion of "peace."

--
"Accursed is that peace of which revolt from God is the bond, and
blessed are those contentions by which it is necessary to maintain the