One more difference is this:  Williams was tolerant of those he
disagreed with and welcomed such people into the community.  It is hard
to imagine Williams asserting that the Antichrist would be a Jew;
Williams was tolerant of all faiths and believed the government should
not be in the business of telling people what to believe or in promoting
religion.   Falwell opposed the very idea of separation of Church and
State; Williams invented it.

Paul Finkelman
President William McKinley Distinguished Professor of Law
     and Public Policy
Albany Law School
80 New Scotland Avenue
Albany, New York   12208-3494

518-445-3386
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 05/17/07 11:15 AM >>>
In partial response to one of Professor Horwitz's interesting questions:
It is certainly true that Roger Williams was concerned to protect the
"Garden of the Church" from the "wilderness of the world." That is why
he insisted on a "wall or hedge of separation" between the two. But like
Falwell, he had no problem with governments legislating morality.
Although he believed that the state must have nothing to do with the
first Table ("matters of faith"), he favored legislation that reflected
the moral commitments of the second Table. And like Falwell, Williams
had no problem with religious people being active in the political arena
(as Gov. Williams certainly was). Where Williams would part company with
Falwell is on the question of state invocation/appropriation of God. Any
state action in God's name was, for Williams, blasphemy. He considered
"Christendom" to be the filthiest word in the English language because
of the corruption of the Gospel that resulted from the mixture of church
and state. To the extent that Falwell rallied people of faith (and
others) to work for a society and laws that reflect their moral vision,
he was acting out of a long tradition of religious involvement in
American politics. But when Falwell advocated a "Christian America" in
ways that would entangle church with state, he not only parted company
with Williams (and the original Baptist commitment to separation), he
also (in my view) threatened our arrangement in religious liberty.
Charles Haynes, First Amendment Center