Great questions, Susan and Paul....

  On the contrary, true separation would require the military chaplain prays
the same way his civilian bishop requires (even in public), NOT the way the
commanding officer orders him to pray.  When a commander orders a chaplain to
censor his public prayers, violate his religious orders, and pray to the
government's "civic god" or face government punishment, (as I faced), certainly
the government has established (and enforced) a non-sectarian state religion,
and forced it on all chaplains and all Sailors of diverse faiths.  The better
solution is to take turns and let each pray according to the dictates of his
own conscience, without enforcing conformity to one "government-sanitized"
faith expression.

  Federal law agrees with me, and since 1860 has protected chaplains rights,
today codified in 10 USC 6031:  "An officer in the chaplain corps may conduct
public worship according to the manner and forms of the church of which he is a
member."

  And the Supreme Court has already ruled against government enforced
"non-sectarian prayer content" in 1991 Lee vs. Weisman:

  "The government may not establish an official or civic religion as a means of
avoiding the establishment of a religion with more specific creeds...The
State's role did not end with the decision to include a prayer and with the
choice of clergyman. Principal Lee provided Rabbi Gutterman with a copy of the
"Guidelines for Civic Occasions" and advised him that his prayers should be
nonsectarian. Through these means, the principal directed and controlled the
content of the prayers. Even if the only sanction for
  ignoring the instructions were that the rabbi would not be invited back, we
think no religious representative who valued his or her continued reputation
and effectiveness in the community would incur the State's displeasure in this
regard. It is a cornerstone principle of our Establishment Clause jurisprudence
that it is no part of the business of government to compose official prayers
for any group of the American people to recite as a part of a religious program
carried on by government, Engel v. Vitale, (1962), and that is what the school
officials attempted to do."

  Susan, Paul, do you disagree with the statute, or with the Supreme Court's
interpretation?

  Incidentally, somebody asked if I'm still a chaplain, and the answer is yes,
because my church ordained me for the ministry of chaplaincy....although I'm no
longer a lieutenant and no longer an officer....having been honorably
discharged after 15.5 years.

  I pray in Jesus name,
  Chaplain Klingenschmitt

    Paul Finkelman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

  Clearly he neither sees a violationa, nor believes that there should be a
separation.

Paul Finkelman

  ------------------------------
  >>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 05/18/07 4:10 AM >>>

  Surely you should be allowed to say any prayer you want, in private. To
give a Christian prayer in church is no problem for me, and if you pray
to Jesus in a military service for Christians, fine.

To pray to Jesus in a general military service is improper, and I see
problems with any law which expressly allows you to do that.

I respect your feeling deeply about what you see as an important issue.
Allow me to feel equally deeply about your imposing a Christian prayer
on non-Christians. You don't see a violation of the separation of church
and state here?

Susan