This is probably just piling on, given the direction of Professor Volokh's
post.  But it does seem obvious that a state's reference to its own
constitution can't be used to help justify practices that would otherwise
violate the federal constitution.  It would be absurd, given the Supremacy
Clause, to allow states to insulate their policies from federal scrutiny by
enshrining them in their state constitutions rather than just keeping them as
mere statutes.  The Court in McDaniel v. Paty wasn't slowed down at all by the
fact that the ministers were disqualified by the Tennessee constitution (as
well as by statute).   The same for Torcaso v. Watkins and the Maryland
constitution.  And then there are the race cases -- I can't remember but I
thought both Brown v. Board and Hunter v. Underwood involved state
constitutional provisions.   This is not to say that the result will be
reversed.  The easy way would be for the 10th Circuit just to say that the
Larson rule isn't triggered here.