Folks:  I agree that saying someone "appear[s] unable to
comprehend" some view is probably a poor way of putting things.  It
seems to me that we ought to assume that all of us are able to
comprehend others' arguments, and do comprehend others' arguments (at
least in the absence of some obvious misunderstanding), but just
disagree with others' arguments.

        I should also say that we should generally focus to the extent
possible on questions closely linked to the law of government and
religion, rather than questions of theology and psychology (except to
the extent that the latter are indeed very closely linked to legal
questions).  The legal expertise of members of this list may well shed a
good deal of light on legal subjects; I doubt that we can shed
comparable light on theological or psychological ones.