________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Douglas Laycock
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2007 10:28 AM
To: religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu
Subject: Re: Degrading religion

It's a frequent theme in the work of many separationists, but I don't
know of a piece devoted to it.  I have made the argument on occasion,
and believe it to be true, but I haven't explore its history.

Quoting Andrew Koppelman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>> The Supreme Court has sometimes held that the reason for enforcing
>> the establishment clause is to protect religion from degradation by
>> contact with the state.  Justice Black's formulation in Engel v.
>> Vitale is typical:
>
> When the power, prestige and financial support of government is
> placed behind a particular religious belief, the indirect coercive
> pressure upon religious minorities to conform to the prevailing
> officially approved religion is plain. But the purposes underlying
> the Establishment Clause go much further than that. Its first and
> most immediate purpose rested on the belief that a union of
> government and religion tends to destroy government and to degrade
> religion. The history of governmentally established religion, both in
> England and in this country, showed that whenever government had
> allied itself with one particular form of religion, the inevitable
> result had been that it had incurred the hatred, disrespect and even
> contempt of those who held contrary beliefs. That same history showed
> that many people had lost their respect for any religion that had
> relied upon the support for government to spread its faith. The
> Establishment Clause thus stands as an expression of principle on the
> part of the Founders of our Constitution that religion is too
> personal, too sacred, too holy, to permit its 'unhallowed perversion'
> by a civil magistrate.
>
> Engel v. Vitale, 370 U.S. 421, 431-32 (1962).
>
> Has anyone written a history of this idea?  I'm quite sure that
> "degradation" means something different to Roger Williams than it
> does to James Madison, and that Hugo Black has a different conception
> still, if only because the three men had such different ideas about
> what religion is affirmatively supposed to be.  I haven't found any
> source that engages this question.  If anyone knows of such a source
> (absolutely including if you've written such a work yourself), I'd be
> very grateful for a reference.

> Andrew Koppelman
> John Paul Stevens Professor of Law
> and Professor of Political Science
> Northwestern University School of Law
> 357 East Chicago Avenue
> Chicago, IL  60611-3069
>
> (312) 503-8431
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Yale Kamisar Collegiate Professor of Law
University of Michigan Law School
625 S. State St.
Ann Arbor, MI  48109-1215