Ed Brayton

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ed Brayton
Sent: Sunday, January 06, 2008 3:07 PM
To: 'Law & Religion issues for Law Academics'
Subject: Cross on private property

Here's a new situation in Michigan:

http://www.grandhaventribune.com/paid/333667146558130.bsp

A guy wants to build a large, illuminated cross on his property overlooking
Lake Michigan, but the city considers the property to be a detached front
yard and thus residential property, and it is against zoning regulations to
put up such structures, or any such structure higher than 14 feet, on
residential property.  Does the RLUIPA apply to individuals on residential
property as well as to churches?

Ed Brayton