I understand public schools legislation with this label was passed in Texas
last year that includes provisions that are ambiguous as well as some protected
by Supreme Court decisions (implying otherwise).  If nothing else, it at least
provides students a "nose in the door" for the intelligent design promoters.
My understanding is that in spite of Kitzmiller, the promoters have not lost
their zest or ingenuity.  Accordingly, my thinking that legislation with the
following aspects is needed and appropriate (and of course comment is invited):

(1) Given the now known time span, i.e., millions/billions of years, evolution
and big bang theories are scientifically supported descriptions of the process
of development of the myriad life forms and the process of development of the
vast physical cosmos.  But science gives no clue about the origins of either
life or cosmos.

(2)  In science courses, it should also make clear what has scientific support,
and what does not (acknowledging that among scientists, agreement is tenuous
about the meaning of "science").  Thus, in addition to teaching evolution and
big bang theories, where there is focus on the development processes -- it
should also be taught that zero scientifically supported explanations exist
about the beginnings of life forms (some accidental "spark"?) or of the
physical cosmos (where did the initial mass/energy come from?).  In this
context, there should be recognition that scientific knowledge continues to
expand, e.g., medical science, astronomy, but still provides no clue about
beginnings.

(3)  In non-science courses such as history, literature, and social studies,
public school teachers may present information about religion, about
differences between religious sects, and about religion-based views on the
origin and development processes of life forms and of physical matter,
including intelligent design theory.  Of course, such teaching must treat
religion and religious views as neither truth nor as ignorance, nor promote
religion generally nor any particular set of religious beliefs, nor promote any
negative views about religion.  Also, essential is encouragement of our
ubiquitous curiosity about beginnings (what are we doing here anyway?).
Perhaps some emphasis might be given to where the science-based theories and
intelligent design are consistent: for example, intelligent design, albeit
non-scientific, presents a rational explanation of how the origins occurred
(for every effect there must be a cause).