From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics <religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>
Sent: Thu Jul 17 17:20:05 2008
Subject: RE: Judicial enforcement of Islamic dowry-on-divorce agreements

        I should note, by the way, that a similar First Amendment
argument has been raised against the enforceability of mahrs in some
other cases.  I've only seen it squarely confronted in one other case,
Odatalla v. Odatalla, 810 A.2d 93 (N.J. Super. Ch. 2002), which held
that a mahr may be enforced so long as it "can be enforced based upon
'neutral principles of law' and not on religious policy or theories,"
for instance if it simply and expressly calls for a money payment.