From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Douglas Laycock
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 3:19 PM
To: religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu
Subject: NY Religious Corporations Law

Perhaps these separate provisions were originally negotiated with leaders of
each faith group, attempting to provide what each group wanted.  Even so, there
is a high likelihood they got it wrong, or that orther institutions within the
same faith group wanted, or now want, something different.  To the extent that
these laws are imposing governance stuctures on religious organizations
contrary to each organizations religious self-understanding, they are
unconstitutional.

Even if they got it right, and one of these statutory sections is exactly what
a religious organization wants, there remains the problem that the religious
organization cannot amend its governance rules without going back to the
legislature, which is surely also unconstitutional.

I take this to be the point of James Madison's Veto Message in 1811, vetoing a
bill to incorporate the Episcopal Church in Alexandria (then part of DC).  The
message is often cited for the proposition that Madison thought incorporation
of churches is unconsistitutional, but that is not what he said.  He said:

"The bill enacts into, and establishes by law, sundry rules and poceedings
relative purely to the organization and polity of the church incorporated . . .
so that no change could be made therein by the particular society, or by the
gneral church of which it is a member, and whose authority it recognises.  This
particular church, therefore, would so far be a religious establishment by law;
a legal force and sanction being given to certain articles in its constitution
and administration."

He also objected that the bill gave the church authority to provide for the
poor, which he said was superfluous if it referred to pious charity, and making
the church a legal agent for performnig a public duty if it were anything more.

Quoting "Friedman, Howard M." <hfri...@utnet.utoledo.edu>:

> To the extent that the entire NY Religious Corporations Law is
> mandatory, as opposed to merely default provisions that apply in the
> absence of contrary rules in the organization's charter or bylaws, I
> think there are serious constitutional issues with very many of the
> internal governance provisions.
>

> *************************************
> Howard M. Friedman
> Disting. Univ. Professor Emeritus
> University of Toledo College of Law
> Toledo, OH 43606-3390
> Phone: (419) 530-2911, FAX (419) 530-4732
> E-mail: howard.fried...@utoledo.edu

Douglas Laycock
Yale Kamisar Collegiate Professor of Law
University of Michigan Law School
625 S. State St.
Ann Arbor, MI  48109-1215