From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of aa...@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2009 3:50 PM
To: religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu
Subject: ACLJ's Jay Sekulow Slams Judge Sonia Sotomayor on church
stateseparation

I thought members of this list might be interested in an interview of
the ACLJ's Jay Sekulow that ran on Fox News last Friday discussing
possible replacements for Justice Souter with much of the time spent
discussing Judge Sonia Sotomayor. Although Sekulow never mentioned any
specific opinion or statement from Judge Sotomayor, he claimed that she
is "much further to the left than Justice Ginsburg or Justice Souter."
Sekulow also referred to winning a recent ten commandments case before
the US Supreme Court with a 9-0 vote and said he thinks the vote would
have been 8-1 if Judge Sotomayor were on the Court because she has a
"very, very strict view of church state separation."

You can find the full 7 minute interview on the Fox News website at:
http://tinyurl/JudgeSlam

Or, if you forgive the self-promotion, you can see the relevant clips
interspersed with critical commentary in my 4 minute 20 second YouTube
video titled "Fox News Slams Judge Sonia Sotomayor for Supreme Court?"
at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZXZAjtXJ5s

I thought it particularly appropriate to post my video to this list
because I actually provide a link to one of my previous posts to this
list in the video. See http://tinyurl.com/DishonestJay

My question for the members of this list:

Are there any specific opinions or statement from Judge Sotomayor that
back up Jay Sekulow's characterization of her as "much further to the
left than Justice Ginsburg or Justice Souter" or of her having a "very,
very strict view of church state separation?"

Allen Asch