From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Vance R. Koven
Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 7:01 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: Wisconsin convicts parents for denial of medical treatment

Actually, it didn't. It began with an inquiry into what level of insult (in the
broadest sense) to a child should be prosecuted as child abuse regardless of
the justification based on religious or even secular concepts of parental
discipline. I was attempting to draw a distinction between serious harm and
minor bruises--my example was a black-and-blue bum, which of course would
normally heal quickly. That *is* spanking. My suggestion is that the harm to
the child be proven as a matter of fact, rather than presumed as a matter of
law, in order to avoid defects in the legal adoption of theories that should
not be graven in stone.
On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 9:21 PM, Paul Finkelman