Does not US v Ballard (US 1944) state the applicable rule-which is
(unsurprisingly) the rule Doug proposed?
Marc Stern

________________________________

From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Douglas Laycock
Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 10:30 PM
To: religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu
Subject: RE: Ireland Charities Act 2009: Regulating the Sale of Catholic'Mass
Cards'

Both these and the kosher laws address a species of fraud.  But the fraud must
be defined in a way that does not require a) government resolution of a
religious question, or b) government designation of a preferred authority to
resolve the religious question or act for the religion.  The fact that is
mispresented must be a secular fact, verifiable as true or false in this world.