From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu <religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu>
To: religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu <religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>
Sent: Wed Mar 10 18:12:40 2010
Subject: Re: Cert. granted in Snyder v. Phelps.

Steve has said much more eloquently what I was trying to say to Eugene.  I
agree with Steve that the categories drawn by Eugene are not as hard and fast
as he has depicted them.

This case is teed up to be one of those cases where law professors are
"shocked" by the reasoning, but only because of unjustified assumptions about
the rigidity and portent of previous precedents.  The bigger picture here is
that tort law typically protects the vulnerable and funerals are a paradigmatic
situation where the one being targeted by the speaker is in a vulnerable
position deserving societal solicitude and protection.  (To Marc's point that
there is too slippery of a slope here because if you include funerals you have
to include marriages --  it seems to me that the reasoning assumes funerals are
special because of their religious content. From the standpoint of tort law, I
disagree.  Every person has to face funerals and death regardless of creed and
it is uniformly a trying time; in contrast, celebrations do not put the
individual in the position of vulnerability that facing death does).

Marci

In a message dated 3/10/2010 4:31:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,