From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Steven Jamar
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 2:32 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: TRO against Oklahoma "no use of Sharia Law"

Flast v Cohen.
State taxpayer standing is different from federal--broader.  Crampton v
Zabriskie
This law is the epitome of one where broad standing should be allowed because
of the obvious establishment issues raised and the clear discrimination against
some law on a religious basis.  It is not merely "in god we trust" on money.

But perhaps I was a bit flippant in my response.  It should be the simplest
standing case for injury by someone in the state.  But, since it is not taxing
and spending, it might not be so simple for this court.

It is not a monument case.  Nor is it like money cases and so on.  It is
targeting a specific religion for negative treatment.  But, as I noted in my
prior post, their is a possibility of someone actually having standing in the
more traditional sense of particularized individual injury by application of
the law, and the court could (to its discredit) allow the state to enact and
have on its books such a law unchallenged and unchallengeable for decades until
exactly the right case comes along.

Steve