I realize that this question is not one of the law of government and
religion as such, but it is relevant to the disposition of the Oklahoma
litigation, so I thought I'd ask.  The judge's TRO enjoined defendants "from
certifying the election results for State Question 755"; presumably the final
remedy, if plaintiff wins, would be the same.  Is that the proper remedy for an
Establishment Clause violation?

        I ask because this has a very important effect:  The Oklahoma amendment
bars not just consideration of Sharia, but also of international law and of
foreign law.  If the judge simply enjoins the operation of the Sharia
provision, or issues a declaratory judgment that the provision is
unconstitutional, then the other parts of the amendment would remain in effect
(assuming the Sharia provision would be treated as severable, which is a
question of the Oklahoma state law of statutory/constitutional construction).
But if the judge permanently enjoins the certification of the election results,
then the entire provision would be set aside, including the parts that don't
deal with Sharia.  I'd love to hear what list members might think about this
issue.  Thanks,