That's an excellent question, but wouldn't there be a First Amendment
problem here even in the absence of the Oklahoma provision?  If the court has
to decide what Islamic law really calls for, then that, I think, would involve
a secular court impermissible deciding a religious question.

        On the other hand, if the court simply accepts testimony that the Texas
Islamic Court actually devalues the testimony of women witnesses (to take one
example of a possible challenge), or for that matter refuses to hear certain
kinds of testimony regardless of the witness's sex -- as I understand it, an
arbitration may sometimes be set aside on the grounds that an arbitrator simply
refused to consider certain evidence -- then I don't think that would violate
the "no religious decisions" principle.  The court won't be considering what
Islamic law really means, but only what procedures this tribunal is applying.
But for the same reason that this is consistent with the First Amendment,
wouldn't it also be consistent with the Oklahoma provision (especially if
ambiguity in the provision is interpreted to avoid constitutional doubts)?  At
that point, the court isn't "consider[ing] ... Sharia law," but just hearing
testimony about which particular procedures this tribunal was usin!
 g.

        Eugene