From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Scarberry, Mark
Sent: Friday, March 04, 2011 11:45 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: IIED applied to speech that violates a content-neutral restriction

We're beginning to move fairly far away from law & religion, but I wonder what
list members think of the tort of intentional interference with contractual
relations (IICR). A campaign to get a person fired could be seen as an
interference with contractual relations. Is the public concern point relevant
to whether such speech may be made tortious? Or, assuming Prof. A is at a
public university, is there a constitutionally-based privilege to try for
whatever reason to have a government employee fired (perhaps on a petition for
redress of grievances theory)?

I realize that there is authority that the tort of IICR requires that the
defendant prevented performance or made the performance of the contract more
difficult, but there is also authority, as I understand it, for a broader
interpretation of IICR:

"The elements which a plaintiff must plead to state the cause of action for
intentional interference with contractual relations are (1) a valid contract
between plaintiff and a third party; (2) defendant's knowledge of this
contract; (3) defendant's intentional acts designed to induce a breach or
disruption of the contractual relationship; (4) actual breach or disruption of
the contractual relationship; and (5) resulting damage." (Pacific Gas &
Electric Co. v. Bear Stearns & Co. (1990) 50 Cal.3d 1118, 1126 [270 Cal.Rptr.
1, 791 P.2d 587], internal citations omitted) (from
http://www.justia.com/trials-litigation/docs/caci/2200/2201.html).

Mark Scarberry
Pepperdine