From: Rick Garnett [mailto:rgarn...@nd.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 9:06 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Cc: Volokh, Eugene
Subject: RE: May court deciding whether religious arbitration followed

Dear Eugene,

It strikes me that, regrettably, the headline is a bit misleading and so,
perhaps, unnecessarily inflammatory.  I mean, it is not the case that a judge
simply "ordered the use of Islamic law", right?   I assume that what he
"ordered" could just as well be said to be "compliance with the relevant
positive law regarding arbitration agreements" which allows (I assume) parties
to agree to arbitration in accord with religious law (subject, let's assume, to
some public-policy-related constraints), and allows the civil-authority's
courts to review whether or not the arbitration in question proceeded in accord
with the agreed-to procedures.  (I am not, though, anything like an expert on
the law of arbitration, so please correct me if I'm wrong about these
assumptions.)

Michael Helfand (Pepperdine) has, by the way, what I found to be a helpful and
engaging paper coming out on religious arbitration and pluralism.  It's here:

Best,

Rick

Richard W. Garnett
Professor of Law and Associate Dean