I’m not sure this is quite right.

                1.  Federal public accommodation law is grounded on the
Commerce Clause, but it applies to a very limited set of places of public
accommodation (setting aside disability discrimination law, which is a separate
matter) – basically, hotels, restaurants, and theaters, not taxicabs.  See 42
U.S.C. sec. 2000a.  Many states have broader laws, but they rest on the police
power, not on the Commerce Clause.

                2.  Even if a state public accommodation law does ban
discrimination by cab drivers, this would in nearly all states only cover
discrimination based on the patron’s race, religion, sex, national origin, and
in some jurisdictions sexual orientation and other similar attributes.  It
would certainly not cover refusals to take a patron to a grocery store to buy
meat, or to refusals to take a patron to buy contraceptives, if the refusal
would apply equally to men and women, or to many other refusals.

                3.  It may well be that many jurisdictions treat cabbies not as
places of public accommodation, but more or less as common carriers, who are
indeed obligated by law to take everyone who can pay, who isn’t disruptive, and
so on.  But those are quite different laws from the bans on discrimination in
public accommodation.

                4.  Antidiscrimination laws in any event bind the employer, not
each employee.  If an employer can dispatch one driver instead of another, and
the service only does dispatching rather than having people hail a cab (and my
sense is that the service we were discussing indeed involved dispatching), the
employer would not be violating either public accommodation law or its common
carrier obligations by sending one employee rather than another.

                5.  More broadly, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 is
a federal law, which may preempt contrary state laws.  That some city or state
imposes a common carrier obligation on all cabbies doesn’t automatically mean
that the employer must follow that law rather than offering a religious
accommodation.  The preemption analysis isn’t open and shut, to be sure, but we
can’t just assume that the state or local law trumps.

                6.  Finally, if the claim that “this thread ought to be
concerned with tolerance of legal activity rather than granting religionists
preferences” is about the law as it is – rather than as it should be, for
instance in some world where the Title VII duty of reasonable accommodation is
repealed – then it seems to me to assume the conclusion.  Title VII’s religious
accommodation requirement does grant religionists preferences in the sense of
some degree of religious accommodation.  (It has also largely been read as
granting similar preferences to nonreligious conscientious objectors.)  We can
debate what the scope of those preferences should be, and what should count as
an undue hardship to an employer.  But I don’t think we can just assume that
any accommodation of an employee’s desire not to aid (in his view) activity
that he sees as sinful is categorically an “undue hardship,” so long as the
activity is “legal.”  Or am I missing something here?

                Eugene