From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Vance R. Koven
Sent: Monday, August 08, 2011 8:11 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: Interesting early W. Va. Att'y Gen. opinion on released time
programs

What I think Mr. Ritter is missing is that the WV AG was not construing the
Federal Constitution, but the West Virginia constitution, whose religion clause
was a much more detailed paragraph than the First Amendment's. The AG mentions
the First Amendment, but seems to do so in a way that does *not* consider it
binding on the state, merely illustrative of a mode of analysis he favors. My
point was that he completely neglected the text before him (which, as I
understand it, is a large part of what Originalists like to focus on) and
jumped in like Rosie Ruiz just before the finish line of his argument. An
Originalist would have started with the text and then tried to ascertain what
its drafters thought they were saying with the words they used. One
consideration in that might be that if all they wanted to do was copy the
Federal First Amendment, why did they indulge in such relative prolixity?

But as I said, Originalism is a modern doctrine, and I'm not faulting the AG
for not being an Originalist avant le lettre. I do fault him, though, for
assuming his conclusion.

Vance
On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 10:29 AM, b...@jmcenter.org<mailto:b...@jmcenter.org>