Isn't the kids will get the wrong impression defense explicitly rejected in
Good News -though(I don't have access to the decision)perhaps only by a
plurality.
Marc

From: Volokh, Eugene [mailto:vol...@law.ucla.edu]
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2011 12:43 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics <religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>
Subject: RE: Widmar v. Vincent redux, though in a traditional public forum?

                Well, the state constitutional defense for the exclusion was
raised in Widmar as well and rejected; and the worship-nonworship line was
rejected, too.  So I don’t think the play-in-the-joints argument is consistent
with Widmar.

                Davey’s response to Rosenberger was simply that, “The purpose
of the Promise Scholarship Program is to assist students from low- and
middle-income families with the cost of postsecondary education, not to
‘encourage a diversity of views from private speakers.’  Our cases dealing with
speech forums are simply inapplicable.”  I’m skeptical about this analysis; but
even accepting it, as we must, this case is on the Rosenberger/Widmar side, not
the Davey side, because according to traditional public forum analysis one
purpose of parks is precisely to “encourage a diversity of views from private
speakers.”

                Eugene