The most interesting part of the decision is of course what the Court did
not decide: who decides who is a minister in less obvious situations.  I
don't take Thomas' solo concurrence advocating near complete deference to
church officials as indicating he is the only justice who may vote that
way; rather, simply that reaching that issue was unnecessary to get a
unanimous opinion.  In that Alito and Kagan are in "opposite camps" and
they jointly offer a functional approach may say something about those in
the middle, but I find their criteria too narrow to be a comprehensive
statement.  I think others may lean toward Thomas.

Steve

--
Steven K. Green, J.D., Ph.D.
Fred H. Paulus Professor of Law and Director