From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Steve Sanders
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2012 12:51 PM
To: 'Law & Religion issues for Law Academics'
Subject: RE: Contraceptives and gender discrimination

What if a hospital is run by a religious group that believes doctrinally and
sincerely in not using advanced technology or extraordinary interventions to
prolong human life.  In response, the government says, no, if you want to
receive federal funds, you'll employ conventional medical standards and
treatments.  This burdens the institution's religious liberty by requiring it
to use resources in a way that violates its religious principles, doesn't it?
Yet in this case, it's highly doubtful that there would be any hew and cry
about the sect's religious liberty.

Obama's opponents and the Catholic hierarchy have done an effective job
painting this as an assult on religious liberty.  But let's be honest, this is
really about controversial (i.e., those that remain part of the culture wars)
v. non-controversial government mandates.  If a religious group chooses to
operate in the public sphere by running hospitals and universities, it gives up
some of its claim to be free of generally applicable government policies and
regulation.  I had thought that principle was reasonably well settled.  Some
might say, "well yes, if the religious group is running a McDonald's franchise,
that's different."  But why should profit or tax status be the relevant
consideration?

Steve Sanders