Whoops, sorry for the jarring shift from the second person to
the third person in the third paragraph ....

From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Volokh, Eugene
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:36 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: FW: RFRA substantial burden analysis

Marty:  Doesn't this all depend on what you mean by "facially plausible" in
"whether the objector has at least articulated a facially plausible explanation
of why being compelled to engage in the conduct in question would impose a
materially different and more severe burden on religious exercise than the
conduct in which the person or organization regularly engages without any
notion that it results in 'proximate material cooperation with evil'"?

I would think that it's obviously "facially plausible" to say that, once an
employee has gotten a paycheck, the church is no longer responsible for what
the employee does with it, but when a church is buying an insurance policy, it
is responsible for the items that the insurance policy covers.  Indeed, this
seems to be much like the line drawn by four Justices in Zelman:  Once the
government gives someone money (a salary, welfare payments, unemployment
compensation, etc.), the government is not responsible for the recipient's use
of the money for religious purposes, but when the government is handing out
education vouchers, it is responsible.  And if you object that the program in
Zelman mostly involved religious beneficiaries (of course, a highly contested
question that turns on what denominator you use), consider the Washington
Supreme Court's decision in Witters - or for that matter, the Washington state
rule in Locke v. Davey - that applied the same distinction to a program whose
beneficiaries were indubitably overwhelmingly secular.  Naturally, one involves
felt complicity in sin and the other felt subsidization of religious doctrine,
but the underlying point for purposes of the "proximate material cooperation"
line is the same.

But it sounds like Marty requires more than just this level of "facially
plausible."  And if we get past that level (or even to this level), then we're
getting into the very sort of inquiry into the reasonableness of religious
beliefs that the Court has rightly rejected.  Say that an orthodox Jew insists
that he needs a diet that doesn't mix chicken and milk.  Will we start
demanding a facially plausible explanation - in the sense of one that persuades
us of its reasonableness - for why the bar on seething a kid in its other milk
should extend to chicken but not to fish?  Or how about an orthodox Jew who
does some things on the Sabbath but not others.  Will we start demanding a
facially plausible explanation of why he can enter this kind of elevator but
not that kind of elevator?  Religious rules are often based on distinctions
that are "facially implausible" to outsiders.

It seems to me that the Court's view has consistently been that requiring
someone to do something that he sincerely feels is religiously forbidden is a
substantial burden, with no requirement of proof of plausibility - see, e.g.,
Thomas.  And this strikes me as quite right both in general, and in this case
in particular.

Eugene