That is what happens when I don't review before hitting send.   What goes
without saying is that I disagree with Rick on this point!   Our positions are
long known

  Having said that, I clerked the year Smith was decided and I recently
obtained the Justices' papers on Smith and wrote an article on same.  The
Justices considered Smith wholly unlike
Sherbert because  the underlying religious conduct was illegal.  Attending
church on Saturday is legal.  Using peyote was not.   Yoder as considered an
outlier and by some wrongly decided

    I detail this in an article in Cardozo Law Rev last year.  But I also
highly recommend the foreword to that symposium by the Oregon AG at the time
who argued Smith.   His insights are critical in coming to a legitimate and
accurate assessment of Smith

I have been impressed over time by the
persistence of the unwillingness of some to take the opinion's discussion of
the "vast majority" of the Court's cases seriously.   Smith and Reynolds are
not outliers

Marci