Alan:  You give examples of deliberate discrimination, but I thought we
were generally speaking about decisions not to change one's own affirmative
practices -- not just one's prohibitions (e.g., no-headgear rules) but also
one's choices to, for instance, play on a particular day -- in order to
accommodate others' religious demands.  Here, it's not clear to me that a
private actor's decision not to accommodate is properly seen as a violation of
"religious liberty."

        Let's consider an example:  Say that either a patron or an employee
feels a religious objection to sexually suggestive materials -- or religiously
blasphemous materials -- posted as part of a bar's décor, and demands that the
bar remove the material in order to make the bar a place where they would feel
comfortable eating or visiting.  (That's Lambert v. Condor Manufacturing,
though in the context of a bar rather than a shop floor.)  I don't think that
the bar owner can properly be faulted for denying the patron's or employee's
"religious liberty" here; "religious liberty" is not the label, I think, for an
entitlement to demand that others change their behavior to fit one's religious
preferences.

        Even if a Title VII duty of reasonable accommodation would be triggered
on such facts -- I think it shouldn't be, for Free Speech Clause reasons, but
others might disagree with me on the constitutional question and also conclude
that on the facts changing the doctor won't impose much of a financial burden
on the bar owner -- I don't think the reason is the employee's "religious
liberty."   And the same is true, I think, when someone demands that a private
association change its schedule to accommodate one's beliefs, or change the
food served at its functions, or remove supposedly blasphemous iconography.

        Eugene