From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of West, Ellis
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2012 2:11 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Accommodation

Marie, I certainly have no objections to exemptions in general just as I have
no objections to laws in general from which persons are often exempted—provided
the laws (and exemptions?) are secular in purpose and effect, which is what is
required by the religion clauses, as originally understood and as interpreted
by the Court.  Moreover, in my comment, I did not state an objection to
religion-based exemptions.  I simply asked how such exemptions could be
considered secular in nature.  I do not think it works to answer that just
because all kinds of secular exemptions are granted, religion-based exemptions
should be granted or else there is discrimination against religion.  According
to that logic, if all kinds of “normal” laws give aid, financial and otherwise,
to specific secular endeavors (business, health care, education, etc.), then it
follows that such aid should be given to specific religions or religious
beliefs/activities, or else the government would be guilty of discriminating
against religion.  But, of course, that kind of “discrimination against
religion” is what the establishment clause prohibits.  Finally, I would simply
add that if the exemptions were conscience-based, as opposed to religion-based,
then there would not be an issue.  Just as the Court said in dealing with
exemptions from the draft, if the government wants to protect religious
consciences, it must protect secular consciences as well.

Ellis M. West
Emeritus Professor of Political Science
University of Richmond, VA 23173
804-289-8536