From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of hamilto...@aol.com
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2012 1:03 PM
To: religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu
Subject: Re: Mothers leaving ultra-religious groups, and religious upbringing
as a factor in custody disputes

The alternative is to focus on what is in the best interests of the child,
e.g., education, health.  Not being forced to
get married at 13 and have children...

Marci

The religious status quo could also be a non-observant or explicitly atheistic

or agnostic household, which would also have to be respected under the rule that

Eugene supports. The alternative is for the courts to determine which religions

are "extremist," a questionable role for the judiciary.

Richard T. Foltin

Director of National and Legislative Affairs

Office of Government and International Affairs

p: 202-785-5463,  f: 202-659-9896

folt...@ajc.org<mailto:folt...@ajc.org>

Marci A. Hamilton
Paul R. Verkuil Chair in Public Law
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
Yeshiva University
55 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10003
(212) 790-0215
hamilto...@aol.com<mailto:hamilto...@aol.com>

The religious status quo could also be a non-observant or explicitly atheistic

or agnostic household, which would also have to be respected under the rule that

Eugene supports. The alternative is for the courts to determine which religions

are "extremist," a questionable role for the judiciary.

Richard T. Foltin

Director of National and Legislative Affairs

Office of Government and International Affairs

p: 202-785-5463,  f: 202-659-9896

folt...@ajc.org<mailto:folt...@ajc.org>

Join us at the AJC Global Forum 2012, May 2-4 in Washington, D.C.

REGISTER NOW

Take Action with AJC by visiting the Action Center

NOTICE

This email may contain confidential and/or privileged material and is intended

for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended

recipient, please be advised that you have received this email in error and that

any use, disclosure, copying, distribution or other transmission is prohibited,

improper and may be unlawful.  If you have received this email in error, you

must destroy this email and kindly notify the sender by reply email.  If this

email contains the word CONFIDENTIAL in its Subject line, then even a valid

recipient must hold it in confidence and not distribute or disclose it. In such

case ONLY the author of the email has permission to forward or otherwise

distribute it or disclose its contents to others.